Saturday, April 22, 2006

My 'new' Best Friend...

So I am finding my 'new' best friend is a bounced second flash. New is in quotations because it isn't new and I have used it before but not as much as recently.
I am using my bounce flash (into ceiling, wall, etc.) as my main light and having my 'on-camera' flash as my secondary light. The camera flash is just there to add highlights into the eyes. You need that or you get the 'dead eye' look. Very unappealing!
The bounce flash gives indirect lighting to the subject by having the light bounce throughout the room from the ceiling or off a wall. This lighting, because it is indirect, is quite soft and gives a glow as opposed to a direct flash look with a shadow behind the subject.
Now this bounce flash has a peanut slave attached to it so it knows when to 'pop'. A peanut slave is a device that makes a flash go off by detecting another flash going off and, therefore, goes off at the exact same time. I have no idea how this works, you would have to ask a technician of peanut slaves, not me. All I know is that it does work and this is a wonderful thing.
Because you have this bounced main light you would also need to be able to meter how much light is being admitted out of the flash...here you would need a light meter. Unless you are a flash genius, and I have seen them, they do exist!
Have fun trying this out and tell me of your past experiments that have worked for you (or haven't). I can help with all your questions.
Happy shooting!!!
- Lara
I was trying to sync my digital point-and-shoot camera with the bounce flash but it didn't work. I will have to experiment further with that. Good luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home